October – November 2013
Menu for this event:
Wild Mushroom Toasts with Fried Basil
Raw Kale Salad with Pine Nuts, Currants and Persimmons
Breast of Chicken with Robiola Cheese and Prosciutto
Soup of Fall Fruits with Muscat Sabayon and Almond Thins
Tonight we will explore some of John’s favorite poultry dishes from all over the globe including one made famous at a little kiosk in Eugene Oregon. Students will experience a variety of flavors and learn how to use different parts of the birds in these recipes. On the menu for this evening:
- Tuscan Chicken Liver Toasts
- Duck Breast Salad with Oranges
- Posole Blanco with Chicken
- Chicken “Man Sandwiches”
- Turkey Saltimbocca with Lemon-Egg Sauce
- The Most Sensuous and Simple Dessert You’ll Ever Eat!
For this hands-on class students will work with Chef Ash using four different birds to prepare seven dishes for a great poultry feast. Many of these recipes come from John’s just released book: Culinary Birds: The Ultimate Poultry Cookbook.
- Deep Fried Quail with Dried Fruit Chutney
- Chicken Livers and Bacon with Ginger Cream Sauce
- Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Turkey Picadillo Tacos
- Turkey Tetrazzini
- Crispy Duck Rolls with Dipping Sauce
- Roast Duck Breast with Grapefruit
Join me for this Happy Hour Celebration of the release of Culinary Birds! Complimentary appetizers made from the book and a great time! See you there.
- An Evening with farm-to-table pioneers John Ash and Larry Forgione on Saturday, November 2, 2013 at The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone includes:
– A welcome glass of wine
– Cooking demonstration and tasting with James Beard Award-winning chef and author John Ash at 4 PM
– Booking signing and copy of Ash’s “Culinary Birds: The Ultimate Poultry Cookbook”
– Five-course meal from chef Larry Forgione at The Conservatory, a culinary “crop-up” restaurant, at 6 PM
Wine, dine, and be entertained by the likes of Kenny Loggins, Three Dog Night, and more as we spend 7 days cruising the Caribbean! The ship is Royal Caribbean’s “Brilliance of the Seas”, and my recipes will be featured in the Chops Grille restaurant. In addition I’ll be doing come cooking demos and giving you tips on making delicious recipes in your own kitchen.
The cruise begins and ends in Tampa, Florida, and is organized by Flying Dutchman Travel in Santa Rosa. For more information visit: http://www.winedineandmusiccruise.com/index.html.
Here is a great article with more information: http://cruiseradio.net/dining-options-shine-falls-wine-dine-music-cruise/
Hope you’ll join me!
Local Chef John Ash, gives a pre-Thanksgiving talk that will change your dining experience come Turkey Day. This well-loved James Beard award-winning author, teacher, and restaurateur co-hosts the radio talk show, The Good Food Hour, and also teaches cooking classes.
James Beard award winner John Ash takes a serious look at one of our country’s main protein sources, weighing the health, sustainability and flavor benefits of culinary birds, from duck to game hen to goose! Come hear him talk, take a taste from the book, and pick up a copy. “I came to learn the impact of free range, vegetarian feed, and antibiotic-free husbandry practices…‘you are what you eat’, began to make a whole lot of sense, as you can taste that adage in every bite.” – Mike Leventini