February 2012 – October 2013
Tapas are wonderfully flexible small plates, suitable as hors d‘ oeuvres in small numbers or as a whole meal when served en masse. Chef John Ash mines a rich vein from his culinary travels to assemble a menu with real legs. Hands on!
● Avocado Fries with Smoked Paprika Aïoli
● Roasted Piquillo Peppers with Goat Cheese
● Deviled Eggs Three Ways: Classic, Crab and Caper, Dill and White Anchovy
● 5-Spice Chicken in Rice Paper
● Seared Scallops with Pancetta Vinaigrette
- Utilize the bounty of California’s ingredients, including the produce, cheeses, meats, and seafood that have helped define “California cuisine.”
- Prepare signature dishes using a variety of cooking techniques, including grilling, slow roasting, braising, and more.
- Study in depth some of the special wines from California that have helped shape the region’s cuisine.
- Learn more about the fundamentals of food and wine pairing.
- Visit artisan purveyors and wineries to gain a deeper insight into the special people who help make California such a beloved culinary destination.
To register, call 707-967-2328.
In honor of his new book “Culinary Birds”, scheduled to be released in the Fall of 2013, we will recreate some of John’s favorite recipes from his many culinary adventures abroad. In this hands-on cooking experience, we will focus on local, seasonal ingredients used to create the dishes. We will partner with a local poultry provider, Pepper Ranch Poultry, for our main ingredient—the chicken of course! In addition to the recipes, you will learn a bit about current poultry husbandry practices, as well as some things we should all know about man’s first domesticated meat source. This farm-to-kitchen experience should not be missed!
- Crispy 5-spice Chicken in Rice Paper with Dipping Sauce
- Grilled Chicken Kebabs with Tzatziki Sauce
- Chicken and Shrimp Meatball Soup with Cellophane Noodles
- Vietnamese Chicken Salad with Spicy Dressing
- John’s Favorite Chicken Sandwich
Click here to register by June 6, 2012. Space is limited.
Great Chefs, Great Food, Great Fishing, Spectacular Setting – What could be better!
Talon Lodge continues the quest to bring extraordinary cuisine to Southeast Alaska.
The Talon Lodge Visiting Chef Series is fast becoming one of the most sought after events in the Alaska summer fishing season. When you match the world’s greatest chefs with one of the most spectacular locations in Alaska, the pairing is perfect.
During this special series, our limited group of 16 guests are treated to two specially prepared meal from our visiting chef in a casual, fun and relaxing environment. It’s a time for great food and memories that will last for a lifetime.
For the fourth year, Talon has invited four of the world’s greatest chefs to share their talents with our Talon Lodge guests.
Each package includes:
- Two exclusive dinners prepared by our visiting chef
- Alaska’s best salmon and halibut fishing
- All at our spectacular private island setting
Package is limited to parties of 4 or more with a maximum of 16 guests per package date.
John Ash was selected by Food and Wine magazine as one of America’s “Hot New Chefs” three decades ago, and he continues to have critical acclaim more than 28 years later. Voted the 2008 “Cooking School Teacher of the Year” by the International Association of Culinary Professionals, John is nationally renowned as a wine and food educator. John has served for many years as the Culinary Director of Fetzer and Bonterra Vineyards. He is the chair of a new program there for home cooks called The Sophisticated Palate.
John travels widely and enjoys teaching both home and professional cooks. The author of three books, John’s latest, “John Ash Cooking One-on-One: Private Lessons in Simple Contemporary Food from a Master Teacher,” won the 2005 James Beard award. His first book, “From the Earth to the Table: John Ash’s Wine Country Cuisine and American Game Cooking,” was awarded the IACP awards for Best American Cookbook and the Julia Child Cookbook of the Year. In 2007 a revised and updated version of this book was released titled “From the Earth to the Table.” John’s writing can be found periodically in the Los Angeles Times/Tribune Syndicate as well as publications such asEatingWell and Fine Cooking magazines.
Featured for two years on the Food Network and for the past 21 years he can be heard co-hosting a live food and wine radio talk show on KRSO in northern California. John is a passionate voice for the sustainable food movement and serves on a board of chefs who support ethical agriculture.
John offers three hands-on culinary experiences, 3.5 hours each, during which you will enjoy preparing your own meal along with fellow cooks. An additional class will be added depending upon demand. Classes take place at La Cocina Que Canta, our new culinary center. You also will have the opportunity to harvest produce you use from our organic garden, Tres Estrellas.
For more information and registration, please click here.
For this hands-on class students will work with Chef Ash using four different birds to prepare seven dishes for a great poultry feast. Many of these recipes come from John’s just released book: Culinary Birds: The Ultimate Poultry Cookbook.
- Deep Fried Quail with Dried Fruit Chutney
- Chicken Livers and Bacon with Ginger Cream Sauce
- Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Turkey Picadillo Tacos
- Turkey Tetrazzini
- Crispy Duck Rolls with Dipping Sauce
- Roast Duck Breast with Grapefruit