September 2013 – January 2014
Our annual dinner at Dry Creek Peach is definitely a yearly highlight – this is our eighth year in the orchard! Words just can’t express the beauty of the peach orchard at the peak of season, the cold, sweet taste of White Peach Bellinis on a hot summer evening, the warmth and passion of farmers Gayle and Brian Sullivan as they lead a tour of their organic farm, and the engaging charm of chef John Ash as he orchestrates the cooking and dining experience. Chef John has created an amazing menu for our dinner, weaving Dry Creek Peaches throughout the entire savory and sweet four-course menu. We’ll enjoy our sumptuous peach dinner with wonderful J.Rickards wines.
- Welcome Bellini (White Peach Puree & Sparkling Wine) & Seasonal Peach Tasting
- Nibbles on the Orchard Table: Peaches with Ricotta and Chestnut Honey ∙ Zucchini Pickles ∙ Sautéed Padrón Peppers ∙ Tuscan Chicken Liver Paté ∙ Watermelon & Peaches with Chili Salt and Limes ∙ Salt-Crusted Potatoes with Salsa Verde
- Salad of Peaches, Heirloom Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella and Herb-Infused Oil
- Cider-Brined Game Hens with Peach Salsa
- Butter Braised Swiss Chard
- Lemon Olive Oil Cake with Peaches and Crème Fraiche
This Relish class includes 12 ounces of wine per person served to all participants over 21 years of age. Additional wine is available for purchase by the glass or bottle.
Spend an afternoon exploring and refining your culinary sensory awareness. During this class, Chef John Ash will review the dynamics of how we taste and then dive into an exploration of how food and wine interact with each other. You’ll come away with some basic templates to operate from to help you put food and wine together. You’ll also have a much better understanding of how to make positive matches happen, whether you’re dining at a restaurant or in your own home.
Menu for this event:
Wild Mushroom Toasts with Fried Basil
Raw Kale Salad with Pine Nuts, Currants and Persimmons
Breast of Chicken with Robiola Cheese and Prosciutto
Soup of Fall Fruits with Muscat Sabayon and Almond Thins
Tonight we will explore some of John’s favorite poultry dishes from all over the globe including one made famous at a little kiosk in Eugene Oregon. Students will experience a variety of flavors and learn how to use different parts of the birds in these recipes. On the menu for this evening:
- Tuscan Chicken Liver Toasts
- Duck Breast Salad with Oranges
- Posole Blanco with Chicken
- Chicken “Man Sandwiches”
- Turkey Saltimbocca with Lemon-Egg Sauce
- The Most Sensuous and Simple Dessert You’ll Ever Eat!
For this hands-on class students will work with Chef Ash using four different birds to prepare seven dishes for a great poultry feast. Many of these recipes come from John’s just released book: Culinary Birds: The Ultimate Poultry Cookbook.
- Deep Fried Quail with Dried Fruit Chutney
- Chicken Livers and Bacon with Ginger Cream Sauce
- Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Turkey Picadillo Tacos
- Turkey Tetrazzini
- Crispy Duck Rolls with Dipping Sauce
- Roast Duck Breast with Grapefruit
- An Evening with farm-to-table pioneers John Ash and Larry Forgione on Saturday, November 2, 2013 at The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone includes:
– A welcome glass of wine
– Cooking demonstration and tasting with James Beard Award-winning chef and author John Ash at 4 PM
– Booking signing and copy of Ash’s “Culinary Birds: The Ultimate Poultry Cookbook”
– Five-course meal from chef Larry Forgione at The Conservatory, a culinary “crop-up” restaurant, at 6 PM
John offers three hands-on culinary experiences, 3.5 hours each, during which you will enjoy preparing your own meal along with fellow cooks. An additional class will be added depending upon demand. Classes take place at La Cocina Que Canta, our new culinary center. You also will have the opportunity to harvest produce you use from our organic garden, Tres Estrellas.
For more information and registration, please click here.
- See more at: http://www.rancholapuerta.com/at-the-ranch/event-calendar/event-registration/?ee=181#sthash.QROL2Wbg.dpuf
In this class I will be cooking from my new book, Culinary Birds. I’ll show you how to choose the best birds for your recipes and help you hone your skills with the delicious protein.
- Korean Chicken Wings
- Chicken & Shrimp Meatball Soup
- Turkey Breast Picatta
- Frisee Salad with Fried Eggs & Maple Roasted Bacon
- Tea Smoked Game Hens