September 2013 – February 2014
Spend an afternoon exploring and refining your culinary sensory awareness. During this class, Chef John Ash will review the dynamics of how we taste and then dive into an exploration of how food and wine interact with each other. You’ll come away with some basic templates to operate from to help you put food and wine together. You’ll also have a much better understanding of how to make positive matches happen, whether you’re dining at a restaurant or in your own home.
Menu for this event:
Wild Mushroom Toasts with Fried Basil
Raw Kale Salad with Pine Nuts, Currants and Persimmons
Breast of Chicken with Robiola Cheese and Prosciutto
Soup of Fall Fruits with Muscat Sabayon and Almond Thins
Tonight we will explore some of John’s favorite poultry dishes from all over the globe including one made famous at a little kiosk in Eugene Oregon. Students will experience a variety of flavors and learn how to use different parts of the birds in these recipes. On the menu for this evening:
- Tuscan Chicken Liver Toasts
- Duck Breast Salad with Oranges
- Posole Blanco with Chicken
- Chicken “Man Sandwiches”
- Turkey Saltimbocca with Lemon-Egg Sauce
- The Most Sensuous and Simple Dessert You’ll Ever Eat!
For this hands-on class students will work with Chef Ash using four different birds to prepare seven dishes for a great poultry feast. Many of these recipes come from John’s just released book: Culinary Birds: The Ultimate Poultry Cookbook.
- Deep Fried Quail with Dried Fruit Chutney
- Chicken Livers and Bacon with Ginger Cream Sauce
- Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Turkey Picadillo Tacos
- Turkey Tetrazzini
- Crispy Duck Rolls with Dipping Sauce
- Roast Duck Breast with Grapefruit
- An Evening with farm-to-table pioneers John Ash and Larry Forgione on Saturday, November 2, 2013 at The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone includes:
– A welcome glass of wine
– Cooking demonstration and tasting with James Beard Award-winning chef and author John Ash at 4 PM
– Booking signing and copy of Ash’s “Culinary Birds: The Ultimate Poultry Cookbook”
– Five-course meal from chef Larry Forgione at The Conservatory, a culinary “crop-up” restaurant, at 6 PM
John offers three hands-on culinary experiences, 3.5 hours each, during which you will enjoy preparing your own meal along with fellow cooks. An additional class will be added depending upon demand. Classes take place at La Cocina Que Canta, our new culinary center. You also will have the opportunity to harvest produce you use from our organic garden, Tres Estrellas.
For more information and registration, please click here.
- See more at: http://www.rancholapuerta.com/at-the-ranch/event-calendar/event-registration/?ee=181#sthash.QROL2Wbg.dpuf
In this class I will be cooking from my new book, Culinary Birds. I’ll show you how to choose the best birds for your recipes and help you hone your skills with the delicious protein.
- Korean Chicken Wings
- Chicken & Shrimp Meatball Soup
- Turkey Breast Picatta
- Frisee Salad with Fried Eggs & Maple Roasted Bacon
- Tea Smoked Game Hens
Demonstration class featured sustainable seafoods, including:
Crispy Calamari and Lemon Slices with Pesto Mayonnaise
Grilled Brined Shrimp with Tomatillo and Avocado Salsa
Thai-Style Tomato Soup with Mussels
Soy-Roasted Salmon with Asian Greens
Roasted Achiote Sablefish with Citrus Salsa