October 2013 – May 2014
Tonight we will explore some of John’s favorite poultry dishes from all over the globe including one made famous at a little kiosk in Eugene Oregon. Students will experience a variety of flavors and learn how to use different parts of the birds in these recipes. On the menu for this evening:
- Tuscan Chicken Liver Toasts
- Duck Breast Salad with Oranges
- Posole Blanco with Chicken
- Chicken “Man Sandwiches”
- Turkey Saltimbocca with Lemon-Egg Sauce
- The Most Sensuous and Simple Dessert You’ll Ever Eat!
For this hands-on class students will work with Chef Ash using four different birds to prepare seven dishes for a great poultry feast. Many of these recipes come from John’s just released book: Culinary Birds: The Ultimate Poultry Cookbook.
- Deep Fried Quail with Dried Fruit Chutney
- Chicken Livers and Bacon with Ginger Cream Sauce
- Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Turkey Picadillo Tacos
- Turkey Tetrazzini
- Crispy Duck Rolls with Dipping Sauce
- Roast Duck Breast with Grapefruit
Learn to cook all types of poultry on the grill in this hands-on workshop with Master Chef John Ash, author of the recently published Culinary Birds. You will become an expert in grilling everything from little quail and game hens to chicken thighs, breasts and ground turkey on skewers. Marinades, rubs and sauces will all be covered in this class which includes several accompaniments.
- Grilled Turkey Kaftas with Tzatziki
- Glazed Game Hens Grilled on a Cedar Plank
- Grilled Chicken Diavola with Caprese Rigatoni
- Vietnamese Lemongrass and Chili Marinated Grilled Chicken Served with Mint, Thai Basil, Peanuts and Jasmine Rice
- Grilled Quail Salad with Arugula, Radishes and Crushed Peas
For many of us the task of putting food and wine together harmoniously is a mystery. Too often wine professionals have over analyzed wine and used jargon that is both unfamiliar and intimidating. As a result many of us have felt insecure about the subject and are afraid of getting outside our comfort zone. John has long been an advocate of taking the fear out of wine and tonight’s class is about learning the really simple basics of putting food and wine together.
The class is divided into two parts. We begin with an aroma challenge in which each of us will focus on our ability to identify flavors using the most important organ of taste – - our nose! This is fun and interactive and fabulous prizes will be awarded to those who can most correctly identify familiar aromas.
In the second part, John will lead us through a food and wine pairing in which we’ll taste several wines with foods and learn how they interact and affect each other.
It’ll be a fun, convivial evening and you should come away with a good understanding of how to successfully pair wine and food.
Sign up soon since space is limited and these classes always sell out!